The Cuban Presidential Palace was built in the early twentieth century with the goal of being the seat of the provincial government in Havana. Its design, conceived under the influence of eclecticism, was made by the Cuban architect Rodolfo Maruri and the Belgian Paul Belau, running its construction by the General Contracting Company and its interior decoration by Tiffany Studios. Three years before his inauguration and motivated by the majesty of the place, the then President Mario García Menocal decided to transfer the destination of the installation seat of national government, being officially inaugurated on January 31, 1920.
Inside we can find, among other ostentatious, floors and lined with Carrara marble stairs, complemented by an exquisite Louis XV furniture style that reached its peak in the famous Hall of Mirrors, named for possessing moons large bevelled size and adorned with fine woods filleted in gold.
In the revolutionary period they settled in the Palace the Presidency and the Council of Ministers until 1965. In 1974 reopened as Museum of the Revolution, function that conserves until the present day, hosting much of the history of Cuban-led wars Fidel Castro. It was declared a National Monument on March 13, 2010.
Year built:1909 - 1920
Address: Calle Refugio Nro. 1, entre Agramonte (Zulueta) y Avenida de Bélgica (Monserrate
Area: Old Havana
Phone:+53 7 8624093//8624094
Opening times:Lunes a domingo: 10:00 – 17:00
Author: Rodolfo Maruri y Paul Belau
Style: Eclectic Style
Area of interest: Architecture, History, Politics